Saturday, November 01, 2008

Gibberish

CanadaI was bored today. I am in Cornwall until Monday -at least- and it was decided that I didn't have to work this weekend, so I found myself with too much time in my hands. "What can I do?", I asked myself, and the first answer was obvious: rest. I had driven for almost six hours on Thursday and only slept three hours the night before, so I left the hospital at around 3:30 PM on Friday, had a late lunch and went straight to bed. I woke up at around 9:00 and order some Chinese food (of which I probably ate about 30%). Watched some TV and then back to sleep.

I got up early today but stayed in the room until noon; then I went out for a ride, to see if I could get to know a little more of this town. I was bored, but also a little sad; after all, I wasn't home, and my last day with the kids hadn't been specially happy... I don't drink, so my chances of finding something that would cheer me up or at least make me forget that I was sad were almost nil. Or so I thought.

I drove around and took a few pictures, which I will finally show on a new "Live from Cornwall" or "Places I've been to" post that is overdue. That's how I ended in a quaint pub by the St. Lawrence river, where I stopped to take a few shots of a boat. That's when I saw this girl. I thought she might be around 10 years old, and she looked like she was at the pub with her family (I would later learn that her grandmother worked there). She asked me what I was taking pictures of and I said "Nothing in particular, the water, the boats, that flag...". She let me continue but she remained close, intrigued.

I went inside and asked for a coffee. The girl followed me almost immediately and pretended to go and play somewhere else, but she came back pretty soon. She just stayed nearby, looking at me from the corner of her eyes. Every time I attempted to make eye contact, she would look away; but every time I pretended to be focusing on my coffee, she would come just one step closer. The situation was so funny that I 'milked' it for a while, but then I decided it was enough for the poor child. Making sure that her mother saw me (it was her grandmother, actually), I asked her:

- "What's your name?"
- "Angelica. And yours?"
- "Mine's Gabriel. How old are you?"
- "I'm eight."


That was enough for her to come over and sit at my table. We talked about her, her school, trick or treating the night before, etc. She told me about a friend who had 'left' (was she real?) and that her mom had found while trick or treating, etc. Then she finally found the courage to ask me what she really wanted:

- "Would you take a picture of me?"
- "Uh, I don't know, Angelica. Would your grandmother be OK with it? I'm a stranger, after all."


She went to ask and they said it was OK, so I took not one but two photos of her, which I then showed her (she was quite pleased).

CIMG7119

We talked a little more, and a casual comment I made about "the place I come from" made her realize that English wasn't my first language.

- "So where are you from?"
- "I was born in Argentina. Do you know where it is?"
- "Nope"
- "Well, it's deep deep south in South America. Close to where the penguins come from. We speak Spanish down there, that's why I have this funny accent."
- "Your accent is not funny; nobody should make fun of the way people talk!"
- "Oh, I didn't mean 'funny' as in laughable, but as in strange..."
- "I have a friend who is from Japan, and her accent is similar to yours..."


We talked about how hard was for me learn English and how easy it had been for the kids. We also discussed the importance of my kids remembering their Spanish, so they're fluent in three languages when it's time for them to find a job. Then she said:

- "I know a second language too, it's called gibberish"
- "Really? Was it hard to learn?"
- "Oh, no, it took me like 8 seconds and I was speaking it perfectly"
- "That's very impressive! Could you say my name in gibberish?"


That's when I realized that she was talking in a made-up language (I hadn't fully understood the word 'gibberish' until then). I made a comment about me and my brothers having a made-up language when we were kids, to which she replied, emphatically:

- "Gibberish is not made up; it's a real language!"
- "Oh, sorry, I didn't know... :-)"
- "Yes, and it's very important that I speak it very well, so I can go to countries where they speak it and talk to the people"
- "Could you teach me some words too, then, in case I have to travel there too?"


She tried, and we went through my name, hers, Gaby's, etc, but there was no way I could repeat the words she was pronouncing, so I decided to tape her (look below!). I then paid for my coffee and left two tips, one for the owner and another for my Gibberish teacher. I left soon afterwards.

I had a smile the whole way back to the hotel. I had just found an 8 year old girl who was not only beautiful, but also as outgoing as my kids; but more importantly, she was absolutely and deliciously innocent and pure. She turned the day around for me, and I can't wait to see her again and learn some more Gibberish. Oh, yes, because I'm so going back tomorrow!!! :-)


Argentina
Hoy estaba aburrido. Estoy en Cornwall hasta el lunes -al menos- y como decidieron que no hacía falta que trabajara el fin de semana, me encontré con mucho tiempo libre. "Y ahora qué hago?", me pregunté, y la primera respuesta fue la obvia: descansar. Había manejado por casi seis horas el jueves y solo dormí tres horas la noche anterior, así que salí del hospital a las 3:30 PM de viernes, tuve un almuerzo tardío y me fui derechito a dormir. Me levanté como a las 9:00 y pedí comida china (de la que probablemente comí un 30%). Miré un poco de TV y de vuelta a dormir.

Me levanté temprano pero me quedé en la habitación hasta el mediodía; luego salí a pasear, para ver si podía conocer un poquito más de este pueblo. Como dije, estaba aburrido, pero también un poco triste; después de todo, no estaba en casa, y no había tenido exactamente un muy lindo día con los chicos antes de irme... Como no bebo, mis chances de encontrar algo que me levantara el ánimo eran casi nulas. O al menos eso pensé.

Anduve dando vueltas y saqué algunas fotos, que voy a usar para un nuevo post de "Live from Cornwall" o "Places I've been to" que me debo hace tiempo. Así fue que encontré un pub muy bonito sobre el río San Lorenzo, donde paré a sacar fotos de una lanchita. Allí fue que vi a esta niña. Calculé que tenía unos 10 años de edad, y parecía que estaba en el pub con su familia (después me contó que su abuela trabajaba allí). Me preguntó de qué estaba sacando fotos y le dije "De nada en particular, el agua, los botes, esa bandera...". Me dejó seguir pero se quedó cerca, intrigadísima.

Entré y pedí un café. La niña me siguió casi enseguida y pretendió irse a jugar a otro lado pero volvió al cabo de un minuto o dos. Se quedo paradita contra la pared, bien cerca de donde estaba, mirándome por el rabillo del ojo. Cada vez que yo intentaba mirarla, ella desviaba la vista. Por el contrario, si yo fingía concentrarme en mi café, entonces ella aprovechaba y se acercaba un pasito a la vez. La situación era tan divertida que yo la 'exprimí' por un buen rato, hasta que decidí que era demasiado para la pobre criatura. Asegurándome de que su madre (después me enteré que era su abuela) me estuviese mirando, le pregunté:

- "Cómo te llamas?"
- "Angelica. Y vos?"
- "Gabriel. Cuántos años tenés?"
- "Ocho."


Fue suficiente para que se decidiera a sentarse a mi mesa. Hablamos de ella, su escuela, el 'trick-or-treating' de la noche anterior, etc. Me contó de una amiga que la 'había dejado' (sería real?) y que su madre había encontrado la noche anterior durante la salida de Hallowe'en. Finalmente juntó el corage y me hizo la pregunta que tenía guardada desde el principio:

- "Me sacás una foto?"
- "Uh, no sé, Angelica. Le preguntarías a tu madre primero? Después de todo, yo soy un extraño."


Fue a preguntar y le dijeron que estaba bien, así que le saqué no una, sino dos fotos, las que después le mostré (y le gustaron mucho).

CIMG7120

Hablamos un poco más, y un comentario casual que yo hice acerca de "el lugar del que vengo", le hizo darse cuenta de que el inglés no era mi primer idioma.

- "De dónde venís?"
- "Yo nací en Argentina. Sabés dónde queda?"
- "Nop"
- "Bueno, es bien bien al sur de Sudamérica. Cerca de donde vienen los pingüinos. Allí hablamos en español, por eso tengo este acento tan raro". (Usé la palabra 'funny')
- "Tu acento no es 'divertido'; nadie debería burlarse de la forma en que hablás!"
- "Oh, no quise decir 'funniy' como 'gracioso', sino como 'raro'..."
- "Yo tengo una amiga que es de Japón, y tiene un acento como el tuyo..."


Hablamos de qué tan difícil era para mí aprender inglés y lo fácil que había sido para los chicos. También discutimos la importancia de que mis hijos recordaran su español, así podrían saber tres idiomas cuando fuera hora de que buscaran trabajo. Entonces ella me dijo:

- "Yo también sé otro idoma; se llama 'gibberish' (algo así como 'garabato')"
- "De verdad? Y fue muy difícil aprenderlo?"
- "Oh, no, me llevó sólo 8 segundos y ya lo hablaba perfectamente"
- "Eso es impresionante! Cómo se dice mi nombre en ese idioma?"


Ahí fue cuando me di cuenta de que era un lenguaje inventado (no había entendido la palabra inglesa que usó para 'garabato'). Hice un comentario acerca de que mis hermanos y yo también habíamos hablado en un lenguaje inventado cuando éramos chicos, a lo que me contestó, enfática:

- "El garabato no es un invento; es un idioma real!"
- "Oh, perdón, no sabía... :-)"
- "Sí, y es muy importante que yo lo hable muy bien, así cuando viaje a países que hablan en garabato yo voy a poder hablar con su gente"
- "Entonces podrías enseñarme, en caso que yo viaje a esos lugares también?"


Así lo hizo, y repasamos mi nombre, el de ella, el de Gaby, etc, pero no hubo forma de que yo aprendiera, así que decidí filmarla (miren al final del post!). Luego pagué mi café, y dejé dos propinas, una para quien me atendió, y la otra para mi 'profesora'. Me marché casi enseguida.

Volví todo el camino con una sonrisa en los labios. Me había encontrado con una chiquita de 8 años que no sólo era tan hermosa y extrovertida como mis hijos, sino que también era absoluta y deliciosamente inocente y pura. Conocerla me cambió el día, y no puedo esperar para volver a ese lugar a verla de nuevo, así me enseña más 'garabato'. Oh sí, porque mañana voy otra vez!!! :-)



Technorati Tags: ,,

Share this post :

7 comments:

  1. Divina la nena!Que bueno que te entretuo y además te enseño ese nuevo idioma, jaja.Cuidate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Encantadora toda la historia!!!Hoy fuiste Vos quien encontro un angel que te salvo del aburrimiento y puso mas que una sonrisa en tu rostro...Todo se devuelve!!!Que sigas pasandola lindo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Viste?Tanto quejarte del aburrimiento en el FB, al final no hubo necesidad de un sudoku.Un premio para Gabriel Almada.Merecido, por cierto.

    ReplyDelete
  4. jajajajajaj....Yo quiero aprender garabato tambien conb una niña asi!!! muy buena historia ...gracias por compartir!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story! It's nice to meet children who are clearly happy and well-rounded. I'm so glad you shared this story with us as well.Karen of the MomDot Street Team< HREF="momdot.com" REL="nofollow">www.MomDot.com<>

    ReplyDelete
  6. Divina... ay es que yo con todas las historias de niños quedo al borde de las lagrimas, me emocionan tanto...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message after the beep

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Buy at KW Empanadas!

Share |